Monday, February 15, 2010

Searching for Sea Glass or Beach Glass



Living on the coast of Maine, one of the fun things to do is search for sea glass. The other day I took my kids down to the shore and we found lots of sea glass. It is supposed to be hard to find. I guess it is because of where we are located along the rocky coast, but we always find some sea glass, even in the summer.
This day we found a small brown bag full. My daughter found a piece of porcelin and my son found a piece that we didn't know but later found out to be milk glass. I am not sure what it was to begin with what's your guess?
Many times we have to throw the sea glass back because it isn't what I called "cooked". I tell the kids it's not done yet. If the edges have not been tumbled to the point of being completely smooth, we put it back in.
I started thinking maybe I should be making things with this sea glass. In searching I found that there is an organization called the North American Sea Glass Association which has some great information on genuine vs craft sea glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Belfast, Maine, United States